August 15, 2011

The calm after the craziness

We had some craziness tonight I tell ya. Annabelle's g-tube button came out tonight! Yep, you read it right - the whole stinking button popped out. I am thanking the Lord above that it happened when Branden was home because I freaked out and was no help at all during the situation. I panicked and started crying but Branden was as calm as could be. Amazingly, he remembered everything they taught us almost 4 months ago at the hospital. Thankfully, our "in case it came out kit" was readily accessible and Branden jumped right into action. He had to insert a Foley catheter the open hole (where the g-tube button usually is), inflate the balloon which holds it in place with 5 ml of sterile water and then clamp it with medical tape (the directions say to use a rubber band, but you can't use rubber or latex around kids with SB due to allergies).

I quickly called the GI Dr. to get guidance and next steps. I had Branden talk with him so he could tell him exactly what he did for Annabelle. It was so proud that the Dr. said that Branden had did everything perfectly. I was shocked though when he said that the ER would not help us to put in a new button. WHAT??? Apparently, in the medical world this isn't that big of a deal and clearly not considered an emergency. He said that he would order us a new button because the balloon on hers had burst and was no longer usable and we could just come in tomorrow to have it replaced. At the time I was totally unclear how we would continue with her tube feedings and administering her medicines or even manage with this huge Foley catheter sticking out her belly. But now I know that it can all be done temporarily though this tube. We were able to give her Pediasure and her bedtime medicines through the tube before putting her to bed. The Foley is not as secure as her button and it is leaking a little bit but it will do until tomorrow.

Sadly, I was really shook up after everything was handled and calm again. Branden seemed pleased with himself (as he should be). Annabelle seemed fine - not in any pain and happy to be with her Dad. The boys were happy their sister was better now. The kids were pretty scared - mostly because of my reaction to the situation. Jack asked if she was going to die if she didn't get a new button tonight :-( Poor kid, I hate that his little heart had to even wonder such a horrible thing. I on the other hand felt horrible and totally unprepared to handle such a situation. I can't even imagine what I would have done if this had happened even 20 minutes earlier. Branden had literally just got home with this happened. We can assume (and hope) that I would have handled it since I would have had no other choice but I don't know. I was scared, really, really scared. I am still scared that it hasn't been replaced and I will have to "deal with it" until the Dr. sees her tomorrow. It's also no guarantee that he was able to get a button from the pharmacy. Unfortunately, they don't stock these things and we may have to wait until one arrives. The Dr. said if he is unable to get her one tomorrow he will insert a traditional G-tube (boo - this is an actual tube that will stick out of her belly) and we will have to wait until the new button comes in and then he will switch it out. I know I am just complaining now and should just be grateful we didn't have a bigger issue on our hands tonight.

I am so, so glad my wonderful husband showed amazing grace under pressure tonight. I pray that if it ever happens again I will be able to channel his calmness and help Annabelle half as well as he did.

Because I think every post deserves at least one picture. Here's a picture of Annabelle with her Daddy from yesterday. If you couldn't tell, she adores him. I think he's pretty great too!


12 comments:

  1. oh my is that normal for it to pop out? like could it happen again? Wow! So glad Branden was there to help out in what was surely a very stressful situation for you guys. Hugs and please tell B way to go. He is amazing (and so are you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing story. Don't doubt for one minute that you would have handled the situation just fine if you were alone. Sometimes, though, even mommies need to take advantage of another grown up being around and allow themselves some unraveling. You are an amazing and beautiful family. I hope I run into you again! (Next time hopefully Anabelle will be with you!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing team you guys are! Don't beat yourself up, easier said than done but you know so much already it's truly amazing.
    Sleep well..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl I would have been a crazy mess!!! But I have no doubt that when left alone you would have totally prevailed. That mommy-gut would have kicked in. But since Superman was there to help you it gave you a little leeway and your emotions got the best of you. :) Sounds so totally normal to me honey. I'm so glad it all worked out and pray her new button is there when you go today. Love you!! Deep breaths!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have been right there with you, freaking out! You handle this all with such grace - you don't think so, but it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Nicole I would have been a wreck!! So glad that Brandon was there, but I know you would have been just fine if he hadn't been. You are THE BEST mom!! Good luck today with the new button! give her some snuggles from Grey and I!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find that when I am alone I can step up to the plate, but if I know my husband is there I tend to let him take control and then I just sit there and freak out. Not sure why that is-I'd sure like to be able to stay calm no matter what! So glad Annabelle is okay! Isn't it amazing how calm and patient our kids can be with this stuff? Much more patient than us mommas and we aren't even the one going through it! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kudos to you both - that story is a great example of marriage playing out in real life. You balanced each other out!

    Great pic of Annabelle with her dad, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that everything is okay and you both did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so true, you do balance each other out! I'm sure there have been and will be times when you do the shining, this was just Branden's night. You both are wonderful parents to your beautiful children. I'm so proud of you both, & glad it all worked out okay. <3<3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay to Branden!!! And to you, too. You are stronger than you give yourself credit for. You both amaze me every day. I worry for the day when we or someone has to use Miranda's glucagon pen (which I know will eventually happen - all diabetics have at least one unconscious episode). I will hope and pray we have the same grace under pressure (and this reminds me to practice with our sample one once again tonite!) Hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAY for BRANDEN!! Well done! And ITA with everyone else - when someone else is coping and you're allowed to freak out, you go right ahead and panic. But there's no doubt that you would've been the superhero if you needed to be. Hugs Mama!! That's scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete