April 1, 2011

My not so nice letter to A-Med Heath Care - our catheter kit supplier

I am just livid to find out today that yet another recall of Annabelle's catheter supplies has happened. A few months back it was the lubricating jelly. Now it It's the providine iodine pads. These products have both been contaminated with potentially deadly bacteria. These are products that are used ON or IN our daughter 6 times a day EVERY DAY!!

It's Friday night and after searching the internet for over an hour to learn more about this latest recall, I just couldn't take it any more. I am FURIOUS - both with the manufacturer and with our supplier who in my opinion did not inform us in a timely manner. I am feeling so vulnerable because we need these products to help keep Annabelle healthy yet these products are deemed unsafe. How can I honestly ever trust that they are safe. I am so mad right now. Below is the not so nice letter I wrote to our customer service manager at A-Med Health care.


Charles,

I am extremely upset and it is imperative that we speak as soon as possible on Monday morning. I received your letter today, however it appears that the FDA recalled the Providine iodine prep pads on March 15th and it was all over the news by March 18th. Here's just a few of MANY links discussing this extremely disturbing news.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42144671/ns/health-health_care/
http://energybillbyhalf.info/infection-risk-triggers-new-recall-from-embattled-company/

If you recall, you and I spoke on on March 18th at 11:36 am (according to my phone records) specifically about my dissatisfaction with this exact product. I even directly asked you if other complaints had been made about the quality of this product. Of course, at this time I HAD NO IDEA that it was being recalled due to contamination with a potentially deadly bacteria. I am OUTRAGED that you did not bring this to my attention. It is hard for me to believe that you were unaware of this recall during our conversation, but in the event that you weren't I am CONFIDENT that you knew within the next 24 hours. My question to you is why you did not call or e-mail me, your customer to tell me to immediately stop using this dangerous product. You are my Customer Service Manager. What kind of customer service is that?

CHARLES, WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE YOU THINKING? MY DAUGHTER HAS A CHRONIC HEALTH CONDITION AND A COMPROMISED IMMUNE SYSTEM. YOU KNEW THIS AS WE HAVE SPOKEN MANY, MANY TIMES ABOUT THIS. HOW COULD YOU GO HOME EVERY NIGHT WITH THIS KNOWLEDGE AND NOT LET ME AND OTHER FAMILIES LIKE US KNOW THAT WE WERE USING A DANGEROUS PRODUCT?

I am so completely disgusted with your company and the lack of professionalism and the disrespect you have shown for our daughters health and for our family.

I have approximately 200 kits (I will confirm the correct # in the morning) in my possession which need to be replaced immediately with a QUALITY, STERILE products. I am truly at a loss for words about this situation and I assure you that rarely happens. Your letter states "A-Med Heath Care takes your health and safety very seriously" but that statement is seriously hard to believe at this point.

Please do not wait to contact me as we need to make arrangements to handle this situation on Monday.

Nicole Summers

4 comments:

  1. Oh man...that is quite serious. I hope he understands the personal liability he takes on by being so lax. Or he needs another job. You are so right to make it personal and not nice with him...that is the only way to get through to him (and maybe his boss, and his bosses boss, in case he's too overwhelmed).

    I wish I could write such letters when we have test strips that are recalled because they give inaccurate readings. Sadly we have too many external additional variables that muddy up the situation.

    YOU GO GIRL!!!! ONE WELL-EARNED POINT FOR THE CONSUMER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MOMA BEAR!!! Guuuurrr! Let us know how it turns out! You are such a great advocate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, I'm a little scared of you now and that letter isn't even to me! :) I think it is perfect and you have every right to be furious. It so easy for these suppliers/makers to become detached from the PEOPLE they are serving. I think they cross their fingers and hope they don't get caught. You go mama bear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent letter Nicole and I hope the issue of your supply of contaminated products are resolved quickly. However, I believe you were far too kind and hope you take this issue to the next level at the appropriate time. While it is appropriate to notify the Customer Service Manager I also think the Director of Operations or whoever is responsible for the operations also be notified. It is important for people at the highest level to be aware and held accountable given that lives are at stake. I have found that in most instances, accidents are not really accidents, because people FAIL to follow procedures. Having worked in the health care industry for 35+ years I feel qualified and knowledgeable to speakout on this issue and am fully aware how recalls are suppose to work. I pray that my beautiful granddaughter and all who were affectdd by this event come away without any serious issues. May God Bless and keep them safe.

    ReplyDelete