November 11, 2010

Recovery

Honestly, I am so wiped out from the last 24 hours that I don't have to much to say tonight. You can see in these pictures she is sad and uncomfortable. It was very difficult to come to the recovery room to a hysterical baby who was crying tears of blood. She didn't want to nurse (this is very uncommon for her) but did eventually drink about 8 oz of juice from a cup. They gave her 3 doses of pain medicine in the first 30 minutes because she was really struggling to calm down. Finally the medicine kicked in and she was zombie-like. This was scary for me to see.

After resting a bit the nurse offered me something to drink and some crackers. Annabelle heard the word cracker and she immediately sat up - she practically shot up off my chest. I told the nurse I thought Annabelle wanted some graham crackers. Boy was I right! Annabelle took those crackers so fast - she had one in each hand and was shoving them in her mouth. She also ate some fruit and oatmeal baby food I had in my bag. The nurse was very comfortable with how she looked and they released us at about 10:30 am - just 3 hours after the surgery.

She didn't sleep too much but would fall in and out of sleep. We all rested a bit in our bed and she returned to nursing as well as eating an almost regular diet this evening. She is currently only taking Tylenol for the pain but seems to really need it as it gets close to the 4 hours being up. She also has antibiotic eye drops that we (Branden) will need to put in twice a day. The corners of her eyes are still very red and she seems to be having a bit of difficulty focusing in on us, but it is still very early and we assume the eyes must have some healing they need to do.

We appreciate your continued prayers for Annabelle's full recovery and prayers that this surgery was a success.




11 comments:

  1. sweet baby girl, feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poor baby. And poor mommy and daddy - I know that has to be so difficult. :( I wish I had some words of experience but I don't really - I'm sure your instincts will be right though so trust those. I hope she is feeling better today. Give her as many graham crackers as she wants! :) Sending you our love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor girl! I hope she feels better soon. I know how hard that is - and the post surgery wake up is so sad. Prayers for her and you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH...These pictures are breaking my heart. Love and prayers for all of you! I hope to see Belle's sweet little smile again very soon! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. poor sweetie. but I'm sure her appetite was a very good sign. I hope she had a restful night and is doing okay this morning?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked for 9 years for an ophthalmologist so, if it's any comfort, yes, this is normal and, yes, her eyes have some healing to do. They will eventually focus right, but the muscle and brain have to relearn how to work together because they're used to how they were working before. It *will* come and it sounds like you/she have some really great doctors and nurses working with you/her. If anything seems to be going on too long, or something bothers you, by all means, call and ask them. Believe me when I say they'd *much* rather you ask "pesky" questions than possibly miss something they may have needed to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor girl!
    Those pictures are heartbreaking! I can only imagine what you are actually feeling! Hope she is feeling better soon. Sending good thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. she is stronger than all of us put together. I'm so proud of her ( and you! ) xoxo Yay for graham crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my these pictures are so hard to see, I'm sooo glad I got to see & hold her last night, "before" I saw them. Our poor baby girl & her parents! I'm very happy you all are doing better today. Our LOVE to all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hugs, Hugs, Hugs being sent to you and sweet Annabelle!!! Its so hard seeing our little ones uncomfortable, enjoy the extra snuggles and praying she recovers very quickly!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah poor baby, hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete