October 15, 2010

24 weeks

WHY in the world is it legal to terminate your pregnancy in some states up to 24 week? I'm sorry but this is just horrible and completely breaking my heart tonight. I recently came across the blog of a woman who is 19 weeks pregnant with a child who has Spina Bifida and she is seriously contemplating termination. I understand she is scared, I understand she is worried how this baby's condition will affect her other children - I UNDERSTAND. However, the thought that we can just get rid of our babies because the doctor tells us they aren't perfect is just heartbreaking.

Although, I have always been pro-life personally, I have never felt it was my place to tell another person what they should do with their bodies. I think this situation hurts so much more because what she is saying is that she would chose not to have Annabelle or any of our new friends with SB to be her child. I just don't understand especially because she openly admits that she has read all our blogs, seen and heard our stories but still thinks possibly this baby would be better off not being born. I just don't get that at all. She also already has 2 other children so she knows the joy that children bring. My friends and I have reminded her that our children are much more than their disability. Our children are as much of a blessing as any other child. I reminded her that sadly ANY child could be diagnosed with a disease or illness at any point in their life and most parents wouldn't stop loving or parenting them. You just love your children unconditionally and you work it out. You find a way to be better because of it.

She actually created a poll asking peoples opinion if she should have the baby or terminate - crazy! The saddest part is that people are actually voting and choosing terminate. Are we that selfish of a society that a baby that might be a bit harder or seem like an inconvenience is so easily discarded. I am not saying this woman is taking it lightly - I know that she is agonizing and is scared but what about the random people (45 the last time I checked) who are voting for her to terminate. It's just awful in my opinion.

I've spent way too much time tonight looking at pictures of 24 week old babies. Yes, babies that is what it is growing in her belly. I can't get the images out of my head. I think about how completely in love we were with Annabelle by 24 weeks and the thought of terminating her is just a nightmare.

By the way - a 24 week old baby can live outside of the womb! I found this video tonight.


I PRAY THAT WHATEVER THIS WOMAN CHOOSES TO DO SHE IS ABLE TO LIVE WITH HER CHOICE. I PRAY THAT IF SHE KEEPS HER BABY SHE WILL LOVE IT COMPLETELY AND UNCONDITIONALLY. I PRAY THAT THIS CHILD WILL GET A CHANCE AT LIFE.

**comments have been turned off**