August 20, 2010

Expect the unexpected

Or should I start saying it's to be expected. Yes, you guessed it - Annabelle has another UTI.

Annabelle was supposed to be casted/fitted for her first pair of AFO's today but we had to cancel because she was so sick. For those not in the SB world, an Ankle Foot Orthosis (AFO) is a short leg brace. Usually made of lightweight plastic that is worn inside the shoe. An AFO helps with better positioning of the feet and ankles.

I honestly have lost count what number UTI this is. I guess it really doesn't matter. She has had way too many. It just baffles me how quickly it happens and how sick she gets. The kids and I had a good morning swimming yesterday and she seemed fine for the most part. She was a bit extra sleepy and irritable in the later afternoon and evening but that's to be expected from a little who rarely naps all day. So honestly, I thought nothing of it.

When Branden and I went in to cath her at midnight we noticed that she had thrown up in her bed and that she had a fever. As I was cathing her and Branden was changing her crib sheets she started vomiting (big) all over her face. It was so scary because she was lying down on her back and I was so afraid she was going to choke. She was up until about 4 am throwing up and dry heaving. Thank goodness for Branden - he is amazing in these situations - me, not so much. Especially when I am so tired. He held her upright in the bed for hours and then laid her down in the pack in play that is still in our room. It's funny how I have been asking him to put this in the garage for at least a month since she sleeps in her own room now but it just never happened. Now I am very thankful it wasn't put away so she had a place close to us to sleep.

When she woke she was very lethargic and still had a fever. This lasted throughout the morning so I knew I needed to call the Dr. Thankfully they got us in at 2:30 and they decided to give her a shot of antibiotics because she was so out of it and wasn't keeping anything down. She has to go back in tomorrow for a follow up and possibly another shot. We didn't see much change in her behavior tonight but are hoping she will start feeling better soon.

Although, I am excited she is going to get her AFO's to help her start learning to stand I have to admit I have had some serious anxiety about it over the last few weeks. This is real and it's a big step for me. I'm not sure I am ready to answer people's questions i.e - "what's wrong with her" (I can't stand this one!) or watch their eyes stare at her precious little legs. I know it's natural for people to wonder and be curious and I understand that, but it doesn't make it any easier for me as her mom who wants to protect her from all the hurts in the world. This world that judges us so much on our outside appearances. Please know when I say "people" I am referring to strangers not the people I see all the time that love us and know Annabelle's history. PLEASE don't feel put off or like you can't ask me questions, etc. because that is NOT at all what I am saying. I'm talking about the people in the grocery store, that 10 year old kid at the park or that "one" mom who can't stop sharing all the amazing things her child is doing while not realizing I would love it if Annabelle did half those things. It's those people I don't feel like explaining anything to - at least right now. I know this will change, it always does. As soon as I get more and more comfortable with something you know I start to open up more and then you won't be able to shut me up.

So now I have to reschedule that appointment to get her fitted but are hopeful to make it happen soon. Annabelle really is doing awesome now that she have PT twice a week. Both her therapist and I really have seen some great improvements over the last two weeks and I can't wait to see how her legs continue to strengthen once she has those braces on.

Since we all know the best part of a blog is the pictures - here you go! These were taken during her PT session on Monday, August 9th. What a ham she is. I don't even have to say cheese or smile - she just smiles when the camera comes out of the bag. I LOVE HER!!


Did you notice that Emi isn't holding her in these pictures? She is getting SO strong!

7 comments:

  1. Look at that tall kneeling!! I can't wait till J can do this!! What a strong little punkn':) Hope she feels better soon. Seriously, if you haven't tried the
    d-mannose, it's awesome!
    Have you had the pleasure of cathing in a public restroom surrounded by people yet? I kinda get a kick out of it... all the people wondering "what the HECK is she doing to her poor child!!" LOL:) Oh well, just gotta roll with it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww poor baby! Jet is STILL taking antibiotics for that last UTI and throwing up again as of last night - at a restaurant!!! I felt so bad for the poor people dining around us. So here we are at the "take the antibiotic and through up" or "skip it and risk a returning uti" junction. Bah!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, so sorry to hear that you're going through another UTI and especially about the vomiting (I don't deal with sick kid stuff that well myself sometimes - hooray for Branden!). Hope Annabelle is all better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, so sorry that little miss Annabelle has another UTI! Grey had three in a month so I feel your pain! Lots of prayers that this will be the last one!! I hope that the antibiotics are kicking in and that she is starting to feel better today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking about you guys and sweet Annabelle! Hope she is feeling better fast. I know it's no fun to see your baby sick! As far as the AFOs go-I've never had anyone say anything about Nate's when he wears them. What I'm worried about now is the RGOs-much more noticeable! There is this quote I love by Dr. Seuss and I try to remember it in those 'uncomfortable' situations. Nate even has it hanging in his room, "be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. It's really the 'those who mind don't matter' part that hits home the most. Really, all that matters is that Annabelle knows that she is loved and that you are doing the best you can for her. All the rest is irrelevant! Sending big hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry that you are dealing with another uti.. bummer, mama. Happy to hear about the afos though. That is a big step indeed, and I know what you mean about the stares... I feel the same way when I have Carson in his out in public. The thing to remember is, "So what about what they think." :) We are taking care of our babies... And yes, to Stephanies-- Go dr. seuss!! Love ya friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yucky for another UTI! :( I hope she's feeling better soon!

    She looks fabulous on that step! Look at her go!

    ReplyDelete